Is Surgery Right for Me?
Research supports the benefits of weight loss surgery for those who meet the following criteria:
- Body mass index (BMI) of 40 or more. Calculate your BMI
- BMI between 35 and 39 diagnosed with morbid obesity and related health conditions such as type 2 diabetes, obstructive sleep apena, high blood pressure, osteoarthritis and other obesity related conditions
- More than 100 lbs. over ideal body weight
- Unable to achieve a healthy body weight for a sustained period of time, even through medically-supervised dieting
- Age 18-55
- Willingness to make lifestyle changes and eating habits
- Commitment to behavior modification, support groups, long-term follow up
Frequently Asked Bariatrics Surgery Questions
What weight loss procedures are offered at Carle?
Carle Bariatrics offers the Roux-en-Y, laparoscopic gastric bypass, laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy and laparoscopic band. Learn more about our weight loss procedures »
I would like to have weight loss surgery. How do I get started?
The first step is to attend a free seminar. Learn more about this and the other required steps in Pathway to Surgery »
Will my insurance cover weight loss surgery?
Insurance coverage varies for weight loss surgery procedures. Contact your insurance carrier to determine if your weight loss surgery will be covered.
Will my diet and eating habits change after surgery?
Because weight loss surgeries limit food intake, a change in eating habits is absolutely necessary for success.You will receive specific instructions based on the type of weight loss procedure you have. Our dieticians will help you understand the changes you need to make as well as the types of food that will provide the nutrition you need.
What is the average surgery time for procedures?
Surgery time varies for each individual case. Below is the average surgery time for each procedure.
- Roux-en-Y/Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass: 2- 4 hours
- Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy: 1.5 to 3.5 hours
- Laparoscopic Banding: 30 minutes to 1 hour
What is the average hospital stay?
Hospital stay varies for each individual case. Below is the average hospital stay for each procedure:
- Roux-en-Y/Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass: 4 days
- Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy: 2 – 3 days
- Laparoscopic Banding: Same-day surgery
When will I be able to return to my routine?
Many people are able to return to normal activities within four to five weeks after surgery. However, some patients have to wait longer due to other health concerns.
Are any of the procedures reversible?
Only the laparoscopic band is reversible. The Roux-en-Y, laparoscopic gastric bypass and laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy are permanent and not reversible.
Get social with Carle