Fact Sheet Campus Photos Executive Photos Logo Requests
Carle Fact Sheet
Based in Urbana, Ill.,The Carle Foundation is the not-for-profit parent company of an integrated network of healthcare services. At its core are Carle Foundation Hospital, Carle Physician Group and Health Alliance Medical Plans. The 345-bed regional care hospital has achieved Magnet® designation, the nation's highest honor for nursing care. The Mills Breast Cancer Institute, Carle Cancer Center, Carle Spine Institute and Carle Heart and Vascular Institute bring additional advanced diagnostic and treatment options.
Carle Physician Group, the outpatient practice serving nearly 225,000 unique patients annually, is comprised of more than 350 physicians dedicated to providing the highest quality care in 50 specialties located in 14 communities across central Illinois. As an integrated system, Carle remains a committed partner in strengthening the health and well-being of the communities we serve.
- The area's only Level I Trauma Center
- The area's only independent Level III Perinatal Service
- Primary Stroke Center
- Clinic locations in 14 communities
- 25 departments including surgical, cardiovascular and neonatal ICUs
- The primary teaching hospital for the University of Illinois College of Medicine at Urbana-Champaign
- DNV Full Accreditation
- DNV Primary Stroke Center Accreditation
- Designation as a Level I Trauma Center and a Level III Center for Perinatal Care by the Illinois Department of Public Health
- Magnet Status for excellence in nursing care
- Full accreditation for Inpatient Rehab, including Stroke Specialty, by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF); Brain Injury Specialty Certification
- Accreditation as a Chest Pain Center by the Society of Chest Pain Centers
- Accreditation for AirLife by the Commission on Accreditation of Medical Transport Systems
- Certificate of Accreditation with commendations for the Carle Cancer Registry from the Commission on Cancer; Carle is a Community Hospital Comprehensive Cancer Program approved through 2014
- Emergency Department Approved for Pediatrics (EDAP)
- ACGME accreditation as a Sponsoring Institution for Graduate Medical Education Programs
Awards & Accomplishments
- Top 100 Hospital by Thomson Reuters – 2011 and 2012
- 2012-13 Best Hospital (#6 in state) by U.S. News & World Report
- Most Wired Award 2012 by Hospitals & Health Networks
- 100 Great Hospitals of 2012 by Becker’s Hospital Review
- 2013 Healthgrades awards:
- America’s 100 Best Hospitals™ for Cardiac Care, Coronary Intervention, Pulmonary Care, Stroke Care and Critical Care (2 yrs. in a row)
- #1 in the state for Critical Care
- #1 in the state for Neurosciences and Neurosurgery
- #2 in the state for GI Services and GI Medical Treatment
- Top 5% nationally for cardiology services, stroke care, overall pulmonary services and critical care (3 yrs. in a row)
- Top 5% nationally for neurosciences, coronary interventional procedures and GI medical treatment (2 yrs. in a row)
- Five-Star Rated for Treatment of Heart Failure
- (8 yrs. in a row) and Treatment of Heart Attack (5 yrs. in a row)
- Five-Star Rated for Overall Pulmonary Services (4 yrs. in a row), Treatment of Chronic Pulmonary Disease (3 yrs. in a row)
- Pulmonary Care Excellence Award™ (4 yrs. in a row)
- Cardiac Care Excellence Award™, Coronary Interventional Excellence Award™, Stroke Care Excellence Award™, Critical Care Excellence Award™ and Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence™ (3 yrs. in a row)
- Neurosciences Excellence Award™ and Neurosurgery Excellence Award™ (2 yrs. in a row)
- Top Hospital for Care of Women in 2013
For nearly a century, Carle Foundation Hospital and Carle Physician Group have shared a vision for providing high-quality health care.
The history of these entities began in 1918 when Margaret Burt Carle Morris left $40,000 to the City of Urbana, Ill. for the purpose of starting a hospital. Her donation led to the creation of The Urbana Memorial Hospital Association. Her name – Carle – has been maintained, an enduring testimony to the roots of the organization.
In 1931, J.C. Thomas Rogers and Hugh L. Davison, two physicians from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, moved to Urbana and opened what was then called Carle Memorial Hospital and the Rogers-Davison Clinic. Housed in the abandoned Eastern Illinois Medical Sanitarium, the Clinic and 15-bed Hospital introduced the concept of multi-specialty group practice to the area.
Though the Clinic and Hospital were separated into two distinct organizations in 1946, they were reunited on April 1, 2010 and continue to provide high-quality health care and advancements in medical research.
Together known simply as Carle, Carle Foundation Hospital and Carle Physician Group are proud of a long history bringing world-class health care to the residents of east central Illinois.
New executive photos will be available here soon.
Request to use the Carle logo
The Carle logo is the property of Carle and may not be reproduced or copied for any purpose without written consent. When consent is given, the logo is to be used in accordance with Carle graphic standards.
Request electronic files of the logo at (217) 383-4602.
Get social with Carle