Mills Breast Cancer Institute is dedicated to the diagnosis, prevention and treatment of breast cancer through collaborative research and excellence in patient care.
Mills Breast Cancer Institute will be a national leader in patient care and breast cancer research, advancing scientific knowledge as we seek new treatments and a cure.
Mills Breast Cancer Institute is committed to:
- Providing patients with comprehensive treatment tailored to their needs.
- Creating an environment where patients and families find the support and resources they need to heal and copy with breast cancer.
- Offering patients access to advanced technology and the latest treatments through translational and clinical research.
- Attracting top physicians and researchers to form an internationally recognized institute dedicated to the early detection and effective treatment of breast cancer.
- Integrating comprehensive patient care and state-of-the-art research on breast cancer in one institute to foster interdisciplinary collaborations.
- Promoting breast cancer awareness through public education and advocacy.
- Training the next generation of physicians and scientists to address current and future challenges in breast cancer.
- Encouraging entrepreneurial development of novel technologies and treatments.
Donor Profile: Linda Mills
Nobody understood better than Linda Mills how devastating breast cancer can be.
In 1991, when Ms. Mills should have been dancing at a New Year's Eve party, she was instead reeling with the news that she had breast cancer. Ever a survivor, the Champaign-Urbana businesswoman, along with her husband, Doug, vowed that night that they would not let the disease beat her. After aggressive treatment, the cancer went into remission and Ms. Mills was cautiously optimistic that she had won. But 10 years later, it returned - this time on her shoulder.
Determined to take Linda's fight against the disease to another level, the Mills family made a lead gift to Carle to name Mills Breast Cancer Institute. Their goal was to provide residents of east central Illinois with the highest level of breast cancer care while searching for new treatment options - and maybe even a cure.
Tragically, Ms. Mills lost her heroic fight with cancer in 2006. But through her generous gift, she leaves behind a legacy of hope and health that will benefit women for generations to come.
Support the vision of Linda and Doug Mills »